Scenic Hudson's Long Dock Park project transformed a 14-acre man-made peninsula on the Hudson River in Beacon, New York, from a degraded, post-industrial relic to a major waterfront park that realizes themes of recovery, remediation, reuse, and re-engagement. The project returned public access to the river, remediated contaminated soils, rehabilitated degraded wetlands, reused found materials in innovative ways, and restored ecological diversity to upland, wetland, and intertidal zones. Features include: environmental artwork by world-renowned artist, George Trakas, whose decks and docks are popular with anglers; ADA-accessible paths; areas for picnicking, river gazing, dog-walking, and Frisbee tossing; a kayak pavilion and beach for storing and launching kayaks and canoes; an outdoor classroom area; and public education and interpretive programming. The park has become a major public amenity for the Mid-Hudson Valley.
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. The largest group of environmental professionals focused on the Hudson River Valley, its team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy, and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open riverfronts to the public, and preserve the valley’s inspiring beauty and natural resources. To date, Scenic Hudson has created or enhanced more than 60 parks, preserves, and historic sites up and down the Hudson River, and has conserved over 31,000 acres.
photo by: Robert Rodriguez, Jr.
- Reed Hilderbrand, LLC: Gary Hilderbrand, Principal; Chris Moyles, Project Manager; Michelle Crowley, Project Designer
- Scenic Hudson: Margery Groten, Client Representative
- Divney Tung Schwalbe (DTS): Gerhard M. Schwalbe, PE, Civil Engineer
- Ecosystems Strategies, Inc.: Paul Ciminello, Remediation Consultant
- Architecture Research Office: Adam Yarinsky, Architect for Kayak Pavilion and River Center
- Kirchhoff Consigli Construction Management, Inc.: Luke Interrante, Site Supervisor